Friday 10 April 2015

Evaluation Question 5.

How did you attract/address your audience? 



In order to attract my demographics i used a series of forms and conventions which were influenced and observed by my case study magazine and through market research. 

The Masthead is a major part of my brand identity which my audience would associate with my company so my masthead design had to be representative of my company but also reflective of my demographic. Starting with the colour scheme of my masthead, i looked a other magazines colours and the relating genre- such as Q was red and Kerrang also. This is also a similar type of music to the one my magazine is about, and so related to the colour schemes. I did this so that i could get  abetter understanding of the implications and associations in which is portrayed with particular colours, therefore allowing me to manipulate certain ideologies of that colour onto my brand image. 
From my market research i found that younger audiences tend to opt for bright, bold colours which can grab their attention quickly, whereas older demographics tend to go for dimmer, darker colours which are gentler on the eyes. Using this information i decided to use a darker colour which would be seen to my demographic, i decide to use the colours white, with red and yellow. These are mature colours as it is a maturer magazine, so matches my target audience. 

An additional way in which i address my demographics was by using the feedback and results i received in my questionnaire. The contents page of my magazine includes features such as festival listings, gigs and band reviews. I have also included names, interviews and features of popular artists which will be well known to my chosen audience. 

I tried using lots of different text to see what fitted my genre the best. Whilst doing my research i noticed that most Alternative Music Magazines used bold writing or just plain writing, such as Ariel. I did like them both very much, so much that i decided to use them both, but mixed, so my text was easy to read but also the writing was formal. I decided to have the Masthead behind the models head because whilst researching i noticed that alot of magazines did this. I really liked this, and thought it suited my genre.

A further way apart from using font and colour to attract my target audience is the use of pictures. Certain photographs won't attract my target audience, such as if it was someone dressed in pink, smiling. This type of photo wouldn't be appropriate to my target audience. That is why all of my cover models and my images, look grungy and moody to create an 'alternative' music atmosphere. I learnt this through my feedback and questionnaire. 



No comments:

Post a Comment